General Maritz, who was head of a commando of Union forces on the border of German South-West Africa, allied himself with the Germans. He then issued a proclamation on behalf of a provisional government. It stated that "the former South African Republic and Orange Free State as well as the Cape Province and Natal are proclaimed free from British control and independent, and every White inhabitant of the mentioned areas, of whatever nationality, are hereby called upon to take their weapons in their hands and realize the long-cherished ideal of a Free and Independent South Africa." It was announced that Generals Beyers, de Wet, Maritz, Kemp and Bezuidenhout were to be the first leaders of this provisional government. Maritz's forces occupied Keimoes in the Upington area. The Lydenburg commando under General De Wet took possession of the town of Heilbron, held up a train and captured government stores and ammunition. Some of the prominent citizens of the area joined him, and by the end of the week he had a force of 3,000 men. Beyers also gathered a force in the Magaliesberg; in all, about 12,000 rebels rallied to the cause. The irony was that General Louis Botha had around 32,000 troops to counter the rebels and of the 32,000 troops about 20,000 of them were Afrikaners.
The government declared martial law on 12 October 1914, and forces loyal to the government under the command of General Louis Botha and Jan Smuts proceeded to destroy the rebellion. General Maritz was defeated on 24 October and took refuge with the Germans. The Beyers commando was attacked and dispersed at Commissioners Drift on 28 October, after which Beyers joined forces with Kemp, but drowned in the Vaal River on 8 December. General de Wet was captured in Bechuanaland on 1 December 1914, with 52 others on a farm called Waterbury. His remark when captured was: "Thank God it was not an Englishman who captured me after all". His grandson, Dr Carel de Wet [de], then Minister of Health, consecrated a monument at this spot on 14 February 1970. General Kemp, having taken his commando across the Kalahari desert, losing 300 out of 800 men and most of their horses on the 1,100 kilometre month-long trek, joined Maritz in German South-West Africa, but returned after about a week and surrendered on 4 February 1915. After the Maritz rebellion was suppressed, the South African army continued their operations into German South West Africa and conquered it by July 1915.
Compared to the fate of the ringleaders of the Easter Rising in Ireland in 1916, the leading Boer rebels got off relatively lightly with terms of imprisonment of six and seven years and heavy fines. Two years later they were released from prison, as Louis Botha recognised the value of reconciliation.
One notable exception was Jopie Fourie, a Union Defence Force officer who had failed to resign his commission before joining the rebellion, who was executed.

投稿日時 - 2019-05-26 01:51:26




>General Maritz, who was ~ Independent South Africa."

>It was announced that ~ of them were Afrikaners.

>The government declared ~ a farm called Waterbury.

>His remark when captured ~ conquered it by July 1915.

>Compared to the fate ~ the value of reconciliation.
 One notable exception was ~ who was executed.
⇒1916年にアイルランドで開催された「復活祭蜂起」*の首謀者の運命に比べると、6, 7年の投獄と重い罰金で、主導的なボーアの反政府勢力は比較的軽度な条件で免れた。2年後、ルイス・ボタ(首相)が和解の価値を認めたため、彼らは刑務所から釈放された。
*Easter Rising「復活祭蜂起」:1916年アイルランドのダブリンで起こった英国支配に対する暴動。

投稿日時 - 2019-06-02 23:01:24



投稿日時 - 2019-06-04 17:53:52